Intricate jewelry found buried in a Staffordshire field is the earliest example of Iron Age gold ever found in Britain.
The collection, made up of four twisted metal neckbands, called torcs and a bracelet, was discovered by two metal detectorists just before Christmas.
Experts say they would have been owned by wealthy powerful women who probably moved from continental Europe to marry rich Iron Age chiefs.
The pair who discovered the find had swept the field 20 years earlier and uncovered nothing. But after abandoning a fishing trip to go treasure hunting they came across the horde, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.
The torcs were buried nested together and archaeologists believe they may have been buried for safekeeping or as an offering to a God, or an act of remembrance for someone who had died.
By Keith Garvin - Anchor/Reporter
GALVESTON, Texas - Beneath the waves and sand on the beach in Galveston you never know what you'll find.
That's an especially intriguing prospect for treasure hunters Robert Hodson and Clyde Longworth, who on Sunday, hit the jackpot for a man they didn't even know.
The men showed us a few of the several hundred foreign coins the men located.
Several hundred in one location is an unusual find.
"Sometimes we don't find like maybe $2 or $3 in maybe a little coin spill," says Hodson. "But this was a big coin spill."
BAGUIO CITY, PHILIPPINES — A treasure hunter asked the local government to allow him to dig up alleged truckloads of gold believed to be part of the World War II loot supposedly left by Japanese forces in a tunnel between the Baguio Convention Center and the University of the Philippines-Baguio residence hall for girls.
Eliseo Cabusao Jr. who has written the city to exempt him from a local law banning treasure hunting, reportedly got a go signal from the National Museum last October to look for treasure signed by Director Jeremy Barns in a “Treasure Hunting and Disposition of Recovered Treasures” permit. The permit's effectivity lasts for a year.
“When I sought the permit, I was not aware of the prohibition, otherwise I would have sought first an exemption consideration from the city government,” Cabusao said.
The treasure hunter has assured the city government that there would be minimal ground disturbance if extraction is approved.
TAMPA, Fla., July 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Seafarer Exploration Corp (OTCQB: SFRX), a company focused on archeologically sensitive exploration, research and recovery of historic shipwrecks is pleased to announce that Seafarer's Quest, LLC has successfully been granted a three-year 1A-31 Exploration permit with a Dig and Identify modification for the southernmost area (Area 1) of the Melbourne Beach site from the Florida Bureau of Archeological Research (FBAR).
Kyle Kennedy, CEO of Seafarer, stated, "This permit for Area 1 may be the single most important permit Seafarer has ever received. The extensive exploration we have previously conducted in Area 2, which is on the north side of Area 1, combined with the most recent cesium vapor magnetometer survey we have of Area 1 strongly suggest to us a concentrated amount of hits are in Area 1."
Florida Treasure Salvor Dan Porter, Photo courtesy of Dan Porter
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A Fort Pierce treasure salvor has been named the rightful owner of Spanish treasure he discovered in the waters off the Panamanian coast by Federal officials.
The Spanish treasure laid on the floor of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Panama for 400 years. For the last six months, a portion of that treasure has been held by the United States government in the Customs and Border Patrol vault in Fort Pierce, during a legal dispute between the government of Panama and local treasure salvor Daniel Porter, who first found the wreck of Spanish treasure galleon San Jose in 2012.
According to attorneys for Porter, Panama convinced the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to seize the treasure when he returned to port in Fort Pierce from Panama in September 2015. Since then a legal battle between Porter and Panama over the ownership of the treasure has been waged, ending with Federal officials agreeing that Porter is the rightful owner.
Porter's attorneys say his salvage contract with Panama gave them not only a generous portion of all treasure recovered, but also gave Panama the first pick of any antiquity item. Porter and his crew dove the 42-mile trail of the shipwreck for nearly four years, recovering over 10,000 silver coins and other rare artifacts. Porter's reps say all retrieved artifacts were divided with the Panamanian government.
"Mr. Porter holds no animosity towards the Panamanian people and is hopeful that the pending legal disputes over the San Jose treasure is quickly resolved so he can return and complete the salvage operation he started. There are over 400,000 silver and gold coins still on the ocean floor. It would be a shame if they're left to rot there," said attorney Richard Kibbey in a statement.
Photo by Joe Ditler
CALIFORNIA, USA: Storm after storm battered Coronado’s beaches throughout December and January, carrying away masses of sand. Suddenly, without warning, the outline of an old ship lay exposed at low tide and under gray skies. It was the shipwreck Monte Carlo, the 300-foot gambling casino that crashed on our beach New Year’s Eve 1936. It was a sin ship, according to local evangelists, who prayed for its demise. And, when the storms broke her mooring cables three miles offshore and pushed her onto our beach, every evangelist in the land took credit for the act. Rumors are that $100,000 in silver dollars remains, trapped under tons of cement and iron and sand to this day.
Courtesy: Coronado News
A team armed with picks and metal detectors that were searching the former Miami Beach mansion of late Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar found a locked safe this Monday weighing some 600 pounds (270 kilos), media outlets reported.
The safe was discovered under the foundation of the Miami Beach house once owned by Escobar, who was gunned down in a 1993 shootout in Colombia, and will now be stored in a bank until the proprietors decide to open it to see what it has inside, El Nuevo Herald, the Spanish-speaking sister publication of The Miami Herald, said.
As yet unknown is whether the safe is full or empty.
The current owners of the mansion, Christian de Berdouare, founder and general manager of Chicken Kitchen restaurants, and his wife, journalist Jennifer Valoppi, are hunting for a fortune in money or drugs that the kingpin of the Medellin cartel could have hidden in his Miami lair.
BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A treasure hunter is now the one being hunted.
In early January Randy Bilyeu set out on his search for a hidden treasure he believes is buried near Santa Fe, New Mexico.
His raft, dog and car have all been found, but still no sign of the Broomfield, Colorado man.
Two years ago Carissa Nieves said her dad, Randy, discovered a new love.
“He read Forrest Fenn`s book and he read the poem and got really into it, just trying to find the treasure,” she said.
Randy has been hunting for a treasure of gold buried somewhere in the Rocky Mountains six years ago by eccentric millionaire Forrest Fenn.
LIMASSOL CYPRUS: Cypriot authorities have confiscated the cargo of a Bahamas-flagged ship suspected of illegal treasure hunting, and are questioning its crew.
Acting on a tip, police on Wednesday secured a search and seizure warrant for the vessel, which has been moored at Limassol harbor since December 17.
The ship was active out at sea prior to that date.
Police, assisted by antiquities department and customs officials, boarded the ship and discovered in its hold, which was locked, 57 crates in which several ancient artifacts were being held.
Deep-ocean explorer Odyssey Marine Exploration Inc. announced Wednesday it has sold intangible and tangible assets related to its shipwreck business for $21 million.
California-based Monaco Financial LLC and affiliated entities purchased the assets, according to a statement.
Included in the deal are all of Odyssey's bank debt, totaling $11.7 million; $2.2 million of Odyssey's debt owed to Monaco Financial is retired; $5 million of this debt ceases to accrue; a $1 million loan from Monaco was retired; and a further $1 million in case was provided for general corporate uses; according to the statement.
Odyssey will retain a 21.25 percent interest in the future net proceeds from shipwreck projects as part of the deal, and holds an exclusive contract to provide shipwreck search and recovery services, according to the statement.
- Bellevue resident claims right to sunken Colombia treasure
- Spain will act "in defense of heritage" with the galleon 'San Jose'
- Legendary Ship Wreck Found Off Colombia
- Seized hoard of coins found in Shropshire ruled as treasure trove
- Italians identify five locations where fabled Roman treasure hoard may be buried
- Spain hails the end of contract to exploit the galleon San Jose
- 'Nazi Gold' Treasure Hunters Could Face Charges
- ‘Yamashita treasure’ 70 years after