| 
Error
  • Error loading feed data

The News

Seafarer's Quest Granted New Exploration Permit Email

Treasure
Thursday, 07 July 2016 08:54

TAMPA, Fla., July 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Seafarer Exploration Corp (OTCQB: SFRX), a company focused on archeologically sensitive exploration, research and recovery of historic shipwrecks is pleased to announce that Seafarer's Quest, LLC has successfully been granted a three-year 1A-31 Exploration permit with a Dig and Identify modification for the southernmost area (Area 1) of the Melbourne Beach site from the Florida Bureau of Archeological Research (FBAR).              

Kyle Kennedy, CEO of Seafarer, stated, "This permit for Area 1 may be the single most important permit Seafarer has ever received. The extensive exploration we have previously conducted in Area 2, which is on the north side of Area 1, combined with the most recent cesium vapor magnetometer survey we have of Area 1 strongly suggest to us a concentrated amount of hits are in Area 1." 

Read more: Seafarer's Quest Granted New Exploration Permit

Detained Three People With Alleged Artifacts of Ciudad Blanca Email

Archaeological
Monday, 06 June 2016 00:18

 A total of 24 items had hidden subject captured in a boat Sunday in the community of Palacios, Gracias a Dios

 

Gracias a Dios, Honduras - At least three people were arrested Sunday in possession of alleged archaeological artifacts from the legendary Ciudad Blanca in Gracias a Dios, in northeastern Honduras. 

The captured were identified as Fredy Arias Nole Cerna, Cerna Jeffrey Benjamin Echeverria Maradiaga and Denis Eli Reyes , all of legal age and residents in Columbus, North Coast, the Interagency Security Force (Fusina) reported. 

The authorities detailed that individuals were seized with 24 stolen artifacts, allegedly taken from White City, a pre - Columbian site hidden in the jungles of Honduras La Mosquitia. 

The subjects wore objects hidden in clothing and were transported in a boat. They were arrested in Palacios community in the municipality of Juan Francisco Bulnes, Gracias a Dios. 

In addition to these samples, Fusina also seized material of deforestation and endangered birds. 

Authorities said those captured were referred to the prosecutor of Puerto Lempira for processing. 

Read more: Detained Three People With Alleged Artifacts of Ciudad Blanca

Archeologist with $63,000 Cash in her purse detained Email

Archaeological
Tuesday, 19 April 2016 17:32

SAN PEDRO SULA, HONDURAS: In the courts of San Pedro Sula Tuesday took place the initial hearing against a foreigner whom was arrested with about $63,000 in her wallet. Susan Lee Hendrickon was arrested in the last hours in the airport Ramón Villeda Morales of that city in northern Honduras. During the initial hearing transpired that the person detained was renowned for the discovery of tyrannosaurus Rex.

Susan Hendrickson, a Dutch national, was arrested and processed by the Directorate for the Fight against Drug Trafficking (DLCN), suspected of laundering drug money, by being in possession of $63,000 that she failed report to the immigration authorities.

René Altamirano, the defense attorney for the French citizen, born in the United States 66 years ago, said that the prosecution committed a grave error by detaining his client since she is renowned worldwide. The attorney related that Hendrickson took the money in a briefcase that was going to buy a property to Belize. She was sent to San Pedro Sula prison facility.

Susan Hendrickson has been living on the island of Guanaja for many years, and is known for her selfless work and support the Honduran island community.

Who is Susan Lee Hendrickson?

She was born on December 2, 1949 and is an American Paleontologist, and Marine Archaeologist. Hendrickson is best known for her discovery of the remains of a Tyrannosaurus Rex in South Dakota on 12 August 1990. Their discovery was the largest T. Rex specimen and is one of the most complete skeletons. This skeleton is now known as "Sue" in honor of her discovery. It is on display at the Field Museum in Chicago, Illinois. She has also found other important fossils and artifacts from around the world.

 

Courtesy: El Heraldo

Mysterious Spheres of Costa Rica Email

Wreckdiver's Blog
Wednesday, 17 February 2016 21:39

Today I headed out early after a quick breakfast at my hotel in Glofito, a small fishing village on the southern coast of Costa Rica. The heat and humidity down here is brutal and I knew that I would have to get an early start. I was traveling through an area, known as the Diquís Delta, in the southernmost part of the Puntarenas Province of south eastern Costa Rica. Today’s mission was to do some gold panning along a couple of the many rivers flowing out of the thick jungle covered mountains and into the shimmering blue Pacific Ocean.

Less than an hour into my trip, and shortly after passing a Police checkpoint I arrived at my destination on the banks of the Rio Oro or Gold River in English. I parked the Blazer, and donned my back pack and headed into the jungle and eventually down to the banks of the river.

Read more: Mysterious Spheres of Costa Rica

Fort Pierce man named rightful owner of treasure he found off coast of Panama Email

Treasure
Friday, 12 February 2016 10:38

 Florida Treasure Salvor Dan Porter, Photo courtesy of Dan Porter

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A Fort Pierce treasure salvor has been named the rightful owner of Spanish treasure he discovered in the waters off the Panamanian coast by Federal officials. 

The Spanish treasure laid on the floor of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Panama for 400 years. For the last six months, a portion of that treasure has been held by the United States government in the Customs and Border Patrol vault in Fort Pierce, during a legal dispute between the government of Panama and local treasure salvor Daniel Porter, who first found the wreck of Spanish treasure galleon San Jose in 2012. 

According to attorneys for Porter, Panama convinced the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to seize the treasure when he returned to port in Fort Pierce from Panama in September 2015. Since then a legal battle between Porter and Panama over the ownership of the treasure has been waged, ending with Federal officials agreeing that Porter is the rightful owner.

 

Porter's attorneys say his salvage contract with Panama gave them not only a generous portion of all treasure recovered, but also gave Panama the first pick of any antiquity item. Porter and his crew dove the 42-mile trail of the shipwreck for nearly four years, recovering over 10,000 silver coins and other rare artifacts. Porter's reps say all retrieved artifacts were divided with the Panamanian government. 

"Mr. Porter holds no animosity towards the Panamanian people and is hopeful that the pending legal disputes over the San Jose treasure is quickly resolved so he can return and complete the salvage operation he started. There are over 400,000 silver and gold coins still on the ocean floor. It would be a shame if they're left to rot there," said attorney Richard Kibbey in a statement. 

 

Courtesy: WPTV

Offerings in the Cenote at Chichen Itza are from Panama and Peru Email

Archaeological
Thursday, 11 February 2016 11:23

MEXICO, MERIDA (Notimex) .- Studies optical microscopy, fluorescence spectrometry and X-ray diffraction applied to various rescued offerings cenote at Chichen Itza confirmed that mostly came from what is now Panama, Costa Rica and Peru. 

Jose Luis Ruvalcaba Sil, researcher Institute of Physics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), said that these results prove the religious significance of the site and the existence of extensive exchange networks.

The specialist explained that along with the University of California, Berkeley, the Institute of Anthropological Research of UNAM and School Conservation, Restoration and Museology INAH analyzed various parts obtained from Chichén Itzá to know its composition, technology and determine its origin. 

Read more: Offerings in the Cenote at Chichen Itza are from Panama and Peru

600-YEAR-OLD SHIPWRECK RECOVERED INTACT FROM DUTCH RIVER Email

Archaeological
Thursday, 11 February 2016 11:00

A medieval 20 meter long and 50 ton heavy cargo ship was slowly, but steadily lifted out of the IJssel near Kampen on Wednesday. The ship’s emergence from the water was met with loud applause from about a thousand spectators who came to watch the operation. Thousands more followed the progress via livestream, Dutch newspaper AD reports. 

The operation to lift the wreck out of the water started around 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday. The ship was lifted in its entirety with a new technique involving hanging it in a basket of bonds and joists, according to the newspaper. 

Once above the water, the ship – which is still intact for the most part – was placed on a pontoon. A special frame is being built around the ship, after which it will be transported to Lelystad. 

The shipwreck was discovered in the summer of 2011. It is believed that the ship was sunk deliberately some 600 years ago to increase the water level in an adjacent fairway. 

A spokesperson for the Rijkswaterstaat called it an historical event. “This is an important moment in maritime history”, the spokesperson said to the newspaper. Archaeologists and historians have high expectations on what can be learned from this mostly intact medieval ship.

 

 

Courtesy: NL Times

Storm Surf Exposes Shipwreck... Email

Treasure
Thursday, 28 January 2016 23:38

Photo by Joe Ditler

CALIFORNIA, USA: Storm after storm battered Coronado’s beaches throughout December and January, carrying away masses of sand. Suddenly, without warning, the outline of an old ship lay exposed at low tide and under gray skies. It was the shipwreck Monte Carlo, the 300-foot gambling casino that crashed on our beach New Year’s Eve 1936. It was a sin ship, according to local evangelists, who prayed for its demise. And, when the storms broke her mooring cables three miles offshore and pushed her onto our beach, every evangelist in the land took credit for the act. Rumors are that $100,000 in silver dollars remains, trapped under tons of cement and iron and sand to this day. 

Courtesy: Coronado News

Safe found in Pablo Escobar's former Miami Beach mansion Email

Treasure
Tuesday, 26 January 2016 15:10

 

A team armed with picks and metal detectors that were searching the former Miami Beach mansion of late Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar found a locked safe this Monday weighing some 600 pounds (270 kilos), media outlets reported.

The safe was discovered under the foundation of the Miami Beach house once owned by Escobar, who was gunned down in a 1993 shootout in Colombia, and will now be stored in a bank until the proprietors decide to open it to see what it has inside, El Nuevo Herald, the Spanish-speaking sister publication of The Miami Herald, said.

As yet unknown is whether the safe is full or empty.

The current owners of the mansion, Christian de Berdouare, founder and general manager of Chicken Kitchen restaurants, and his wife, journalist Jennifer Valoppi, are hunting for a fortune in money or drugs that the kingpin of the Medellin cartel could have hidden in his Miami lair.

Read more: Safe found in Pablo Escobar's former Miami Beach mansion

Treasure hunter from Colorado vanishes while looking for gold in New Mexico Email

Treasure
Monday, 25 January 2016 13:59

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A treasure hunter is now the one being hunted.

In early January Randy Bilyeu set out on his search for a hidden treasure he believes is buried near Santa Fe, New Mexico.

His raft, dog and car have all been found, but still no sign of the Broomfield, Colorado man.

Two years ago Carissa Nieves said her dad, Randy, discovered a new love.

“He read Forrest Fenn`s book and he read the poem and got really into it, just trying to find the treasure,” she said.

Randy has been hunting for a treasure of gold buried somewhere in the Rocky Mountains six years ago by eccentric millionaire Forrest Fenn.

Read more: Treasure hunter from Colorado vanishes while looking for gold in New Mexico